Sunday, November 24, 2013

reck-less adjective /'re-kles/ : marked by lack of proper caution : careless of consequences

This was something I wrote to my friend Ryan yesterday-

I know. I know, you SAID "Love Recklessly" was supposed to start December 1st but a teachable moment presented itself and I had to share it.

Me and Conor were in line at the grocery and the fellow in front of us was having a conversation with the clerk he was telling her what to "put back" because he only had $35.00.
I leaned over and whispered " Would you mind if we helped you by paying for those things?"
He was delighted and said "Not at all I'd appreciate it that's great, someday you'll get paid back."
I answered "I already have."

As we watched him walk off to the Bus Stop with his groceries Conor said "That was nice Mom I'm glad you did that, but why did you say you were already paid back?'
I wanted him to know about being open to Gods love though giving so i shared this story with him.

When I moved back to OKC from Florida in 91 all I had was a bed, a TV, my cat, and my clothes. My grandparents gave me some dishes and linens. But I was eating rice. Lots and lots of rice.

One of the ladies at work, Judy, asked me all the time to go to lunch with her but I couldn't because i didn't have the money so I'd thank her and tell her I brought my lunch. So she started eating with me in the lunchroom.

"Day one: tomatoes and rice that looks good. Day two : tomatoes, cheese, and rice kinda mexicany. Day three: Apples and rice I would never have thought of that." ( Judy's comments each day)
By day four she finally said "Suzanne don't you have anything at your house besides rice?" I said "Nope Judy that's it I just don't have a lot of money right now so I eat rice because its better than Ramen all the time!" And then I laughed.

The next two days she was at a different store so I didn't see her but we worked together the next week.
It was really cold and Christmas Eve. Everybody was hurrying to go home and celebrate and it had been a LONG, LONG, LONG day. Judy asked me to help her carry some stuff to her car so i did and when she opened up her trunk it was FULL of grocery sacks, she said "These groceries are for you Merry Christmas."

I cried my eyes out in the parking garage of Penn Square as we put all those groceries in my car.

I wanted Conor to see how God gives us opportunities to love on people in ways we would never know if we don't pay attention. God Bless you and I hope you have a peaceful day with your family."

This post is dedicated to LOVING RECKLESSLY will you answer the call?

Please visit my friend Ryan's blog to see how you can honor special needs children and their families this month!

www.thewonderfullymadelife.blogspot.com/2013/11/a-month-of-reckless-love-details.html



2 comments:

  1. You're such a good mom and such a good person! I wish I could clone you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know this. You should have called home ET. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete