Monday, August 5, 2013

You can change everything...

Brand new school Carl Albert Jr. High, ( the school being new was NOT new we moved like a caravan of gypsies from the time I was in 4th grade.) but it was first time in JR HIGH.

 My mom had come home a few days before with a bag of clothes from  one of her friends who  had cleaned out her daughters closet and I picked carefully though them until I found the perfect outfit.
 A purple shiny pull over, a purple long vest buttons all down the front with a matching mini. It was just about the coolest (  that word was THE word when I was a kid ) outfit I had ever seen. AND I had a pair of purple shoes so I was going to look like a super mod majorly hip prettiest girl ever 7th grader.

Thank you for passing those clothes to a little girl who needed them.

 I was excited and hopeful and terrified all rolled into one big ball.  Sixth grade had been a nightmare year for me,  just a mess of  custody battles, moving from state to state and emotional drama and trauma. * I mean REAL TRAUMA not just preteen angst.  So when we moved to our pretty new apartment, and I heard so many good things about my new school I was really really excited. Because back then it was harder to beat down the optimism of a kid I think. We didnt have all the mega-tive ( hybrid word of my own making)  influences on TV and video games bombarding us 24/7 so we held up better I think.

That night when I went to bed I was so excited, I had my clothes all laid out and hot rollers ready to go with all my school stuff beside my little purse with the owl on it. I woke up before the alarm and jumped up out of bed, thinking I was late and went plowing into the living room and opened the front door to go to the bus stop when I heard a voice softly say "Hey Suzie where are you going?"

It was my Moms boyfriend who had gone to sleep on the couch. I turned and looked at him and realized I was sleepwalking! I was so embaressed I didn't know what to say. He just sent me back to bed (and never said anything else about it. EVER) and I was mortified. How could I have been such a dork? I almost walked out the door in a tee shirt and underwear. What if somebody had been out there and seen me? I pulled the covers over my head and the next thing I knew my mom was waking me up.

Thank you for not teasing me about being a dork.

It was a beautiful morning and I climbed on the bus with all the other kids, and when we got to school I managed to find my home room because all the teachers were standing outside the rooms to help us out. I went from class to class in this pretty new school and all I could think about was how happy I was.

Thank you for being so friendly to the perpetual new kid.

That first part of the year I was in heaven. I loved my art teacher. She was tall and pretty with glasses and lots of naturally curly red hair. She dressed like Julie in "The Mod Squad".  I drew a class assignment and she asked me if I had traced it and had me bring the magazine in I had looked at while I drew it. She liked it so much she hung it on the wall behind her desk.

Thank you for making me feel like Rembrandt.

I got finished early with my English so the teacher would give me a hall pass to go to the library. The librarian always  took the time to talk to me, find out what I liked and would reccomend books.  And because of her I read "The Hobbit" and two weeks later I dove into Tolkien like a bag of candy!

Thank you for opening the door to grand literature for me. It helped me become a writer...

One morning I started to get up out of my bus seat and realized I didnt have my purse. I searched all over, no purse, no lunch money, Moms going to kill me. I looked EVERYWHERE. I was the last one off and the Bus driver took one look at my face and knew something was wrong. She gave me lunch money for that day and then drove all the way back to the apartments on her own time, found my purse, and brought it to me at school and wouldn't let me pay her back.

Thank you for really seeing a scared kid and helping.

You never know whats going on with someone else especially kids. All those small acts of everyday kindnesses made a impact in my life. They made me feel like I was important and special and that I mattered.

When you do something kind for someone else it changes things.

Always.

You make the difference...






1 comment:

  1. The Little SisterAugust 5, 2013 at 8:28 AM

    This is sooooo good Suz! Small kindnesses make the world go round. Thanks for sharing your happies with us!

    ReplyDelete