Tuesday, March 26, 2013

SO GOOD

I got a message from my friend Scotty saying "Hey you creative writing types should do this." I was curious so I hit the link and there it was "Listen to your Mother Show OKC" info. I'd never heard of it but thought "Why not I write about being a mom all the time?" 
Me and my helper
So I perused my blog and none of them seemed quite right so I whipped something out. YEAH RIGHT! HA! I actually took about an entire day just thinking about it and then a week to write it. My husband and son suffering through numerous readings like it was a presidential speech. 
After rewriting it about 6 times I finally hit send and then breathed. Finished. SO GOOD!  I pretty much vaccilated between "It was just for fun so if I don't get in no big deal, then to Oh my GOD what if they want me to audition?" to "I gotta dance this shit out!"

Foot movin, butt shakin, finger snappin therapy some Donna Summer "Hot Stuff" , some Baha Men "Gin and Coconut Water", some Talking Heads "Girlfriends Better".  AHHA SO GOOD!

So I get the email inviting me to audition! Holy shit for real 5 minutes? I rewrote and edited and mirror practiced and made my son record me and then couldn't watch it because his camera work was like someone running in place or the Blair Witch project, and I wondered if I'd need a barf bag.

 I finally called up all those years of speech competition from High School and ran it through a few more times finally getting it down to 5 minutes.

I even dragged my friend Hillary outta bed that Sunday to do my hair because it makes me feel better when my hairs done did. I knew they would do a head shot but I thought well I always feel BETTER when I look awesome. I spent more time on that outfit than I did last summer for a job interview. So finally its time, and being the type A I am I get there early and get all the picture taking outta the way and then its time....

As I stood at the podium I thought of a line from a song in the musical Camelot  "You mean that apalling clamoring, that sounds like a blacksmith hammering is merely the banging of his royal knees?"

But I looked at these three women in front of me and how they smiled so enouragingly, they laughed and nodded and I thought just breathe, just breathe....and then it happened.

I found my voice and the rhythum of the listener and the story and the telling and it was SO GOOD, I smiled, I laughed at my own story, I saw the people in it and before you know it it was finished...

Misti asked "How do you feel ?" And is so like me I did a little hoppy dance and said "I was so nervous!" And we all laughed. I thought even if I don't make it in this has been SO GOOD...

And when I heard my story made it and all the whopoin and hollerin and screaming and hugging and jumping and dancing calmed some I thought to myself, this is SO GOOD Thank you God this is just SO GOOD!

INFO INFO INFO!
 http:www.listentoyourmothershow.com/oklahomacity/

So come and bring yo Mama!


2 comments:

  1. We have dance parties here all the time, glad to see I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Suze!!!!! I am so proud of ya!!!!!

    ReplyDelete